Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Why Jenna is Awesome



Email conversation today, one of the many reasons I love my sister

Megan:
I got my essay finished last night/this morning :) now I just have to wait to hear back from my prof/fix the mistakes and I'm done

Jenna:
Yay! Did you find out about convocating yet?

Megan:
No, I just emailed one of the registrars like 20 minutes ago though so maybe I'll hear back by the end of the week? That's being hopeful

Jenna:
Ugh, I know, they're so irresponsible. I emailed my advisor and when she finally emailed me back she said it wasn't a good time for her (I asked to meet with her to discuss my options) and she asked if we could do it in a couple of weeks so very GRACIOUSLY I said yes. She has not since contacted me or responded.

Megan:
That's so dumb. The only way I've gotten them to talk to me successfully in the past is to go there and lurk outside their door.
Once, I emailed Luther to find out what their office hours were because I had an essay to hand in (they didn't have them on the web site, which is like the dumbest thing ever), and I didn't hear back from them so the next day I just went there to hand in my essay. Then two weeks later I got an email back with their hours. So useless.
I can't believe she hasn't gotten back to you, it seems kind of important you know? They suck at this stuff, and it's stupid because that's what they're there for, to help :P

Jenna:
I know. I've been to her before and she's pretty good. Although once I went in to complain because they wouldn't move one of my exams that conflicted with army, and she sent me to the dean without telling me who he was. Which is slightly embarrassing. Not that I was rude or anything but I basically went in there and told him how it was, then he was like "Hi, I'm the dean." I probably wouldn't have had the guts if I had known. He was really nice though.

Megan:
Nice, I've never met a dean. He let you move your exam?

Jenna:
Oh of course. I was pretty mad about the whole thing. That weekend was our shooting exams so you can't miss it, and when I told my professor that I needed to reschedule my exam because I would have no time to study she said that she didn't reschedule exams for anyone for any reason. She said "lots of people have jobs, everyone's busy" and I totally blacked on her. I said everyone wasn't busy fucking defending their country and this was not a normal circumstance, the army isn't just a job. She said she wasn't going to reconsider and I got so angry I actually became calm. I just looked at her and said, watch this. Then I went straight to the advisor and via her, the dean. I said I found it hard to believe that since I know for a fact professors make their own policies on those issues that there was no way she could reschedule. She said that she wasn't allowed I knew that was a lie and I told the dean I found it hard to believe there was nothing that the university could do for a serving member of the forces who was trying to get an education. Worked like a charm. She emailed me that night with a sudden dean-inspired streak of generosity and let me reschedule.

No comments: